Re: Creating a peculiar Live-CD

Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 30 November 2014 at 02:30, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
Scott Ferguson wrote:

On 29 November 2014 at 08:17, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:

On 11/28/14, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

<snipped>

<chuckle> I've just proved ( again ;/ ) that my writing lacks clarity.

It's hard to describe a custom live CD in a single, small post.

Not really. I did it in a single sentence - see 3rd sentence down.

How you want to achieve something?? Not what (objectives) - which you
have expanded on in a subsequent reply to Curt. I'm still not clear on
"why".

Except for one, I don't think the why's are describable - too much intertwining of several years of personal projects. Why climb a mountain - "because it's there" may be the best answer.

This may be an xy problem - certainly based on the expanded objectives
placing a script in /etc/rc.local to do what you describe is not the
solution  - nor is placing it in init.

I believe Curt has the right idea - [snip]

Existence of kiosk CD's demonstrate what I want is doable.

[snip]

Network/Internet restriction policy.
If you have a LAN that these "users" will be connected to - the best
option IMO is to restrict browing at the access point using white
lists (or blacklists if you enjoy playing pop-a-mole).  Dans Guardian
(for squid) is ideal.
If that's not possible and you need to apply internet access control
at the local box level (LiveCD or HDD) the simplest approach for an
unskilled admin is to install either:-
;Parental Control GUI (which uses tinyproxy and Dans Guardian)
https://launchpad.net/webcontentcontrol/
;WebCleaner http://webcleaner.sourceforge.net/
;privoxy (it's in the Debian repository).

That looks promising.

Dependant on what you mean by "anything else"... find out where
"anything else" is triggered and remove the trigger.

Ugh ;/ That's "shutting the barn door...". Don't install door in first
place.

I have no idea what you are trying to say there. Could you expand on
that please.

E.G. I have one case where I want internet access via a serial modem only, therefore there will be no Ethernet nor WiFi drivers installed/installable (no apt/Synaptic/etc). Somewhat brute force but effective [rather significant side effects ;]