Re: Challenge to you: Voice your concerns regarding systemd upstream

Am Donnerstag, 25. September 2014, 01:45:50 schrieb lee:
> Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> writes:
> > Am Montag, 22. September 2014, 23:50:46 schrieb lee:
> >> Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> writes:
> >>
> >> Do you really think they will be able to prevent all the other
> >> software from depending on a particular init system or parts of it?
> >
> > Well… thats to be taken upstream, isn´t it?
>
> Then why don't the developers or the distributions do just that?  Nobody
> cares when one user or another questions whether it's a good idea to
> depend on systemd, and it might be much different if a lot of developers
> and/or whole distributions would, in the interest of their users,
> question this dependency and refuse their support eventually until the
> issues systemd and software depending on it brings about.

[…]
> Fedora does already depend on systemd --- and I would say completely.
> Or do you see a choice here?

And exactly *how* is this relevant to Debian?

> > And still I think its important to take this upstream.
>
> Upstream, from the users point of view, are the makers of the
> distribution in the first place.  I can't very well make a bug report
> against systemd directly because Debian has decided to support it, can
> I.  That's not a problem of systemd.
>
> To get involved with everything seems to have been a design decision of
> systemd.  What do you expect will happen when I make a bug report
> directly against systemd, explaining them that it's broken by design?
>
> Or should I make a bug report against the X server because it depends on
> systemd?  Or the other way round?  Or perhaps against cups instead?
>
> > Or to *help*. Make a logind that does not depend on systemd. Offer it to
> > the upstreams that need it.
>
> I'm sure it would be ignored or rejected --- even if I had the knowledge
> to make anything like that and was able to keep up with what other ppl
> are doing.

I do think that you don´t want change.

You expect distro developers to fix it for you. You are not willing to take
things upstream.

That doesn´t create change.

I omit the rest.

Cause I do think that it is a *waste* of *my* energy to continue this.

I offered ways to act towards *change*.

You rejected *all* of them.

Nothing I have to offer to you anymore.

If you want to put your energy into writing lengthy posts here on this mailing
list lamenting of oh how bad it all is, instead of *acting* towards change… or
at least give it a try to bring things to were decisions are made or help to
facilite change, that is completely and entirely your choice.

It is not mine, however.

So I think we make different choices here. I am willing to give systemd a fair
change, willing to report bugs and I am also willing to take concerns
upstream. Thats my choice.

No need and no sense to try to convince you of my choice. I just think that
the way you try to handle the systemd adoption of Debian serves just one
purpose: To specifically make you feel even more bad about. And others.

I step out from this now.

Discuss as you wish.

If it at one time it is only systemd ranting here on this list, I am free to
unsubcribe myself from it, to save myself the hassle to even receive this
negativity into my mailbox.

Ciao,