Re: /usr on own filesystem, not already mounted -- yeech!

On Sun, 03 Aug 2014 09:59:17 +0300
David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> Started to get this message several times in bootup or maybe was
> simply not quick enough to catch it before. Everything seems to play.
>
> The Debian installer itself will place /usr on it own
> partition/filesystem. So what gives?
>
> Is it now required that /usr be on on part of the root filesystem? If
> so, easy enough to accomplish. But never needed anything like that
> before.

My feeling is that it is not a problem yet, for most people, but one
day it will be. The idea of /usr being a read-only common repository of
user applications not needed in booting seems to have had its day, and
it is effectively also being used for system code. I believe the
discussion about this, as with systemd, is over.

--
Joe