/usr on own filesystem, not already mounted -- yeech!

Started to get this message several times in bootup or maybe was simply not
quick enough to catch it before. Everything seems to play.

The Debian installer itself will place /usr on it own partition/filesystem. So
what gives?

Is it now required that /usr be on on part of the root filesystem? If so, easy
enough to accomplish. But never needed anything like that before.

Also, the initrd is being done with "more." This was given by the installer.
In the past, I had used "dep" quite successfully, possible with a few entries
in modules.conf. Faster initial load ........... "More" would seem to imply
that this /usr business is superfluous.

So what is the answer/recommendation here? I have not updated the 208.6
systemd and udev packages yet.