Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

Le 21/07/2014 18:23, Tom H a écrit :
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 4:18 AM, Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:
>>> That's one of the development goals.
>> I switched today, and for me booting is slow, much slowzer than before.
>> And booting is silent : almost no information message about what happens.
> >From the systemd-analyze man page:
>
> systemd-analyze time prints the time spent in the kernel before
> userspace has been reached, the time spent in the initial RAM disk
> (initrd) before normal system userspace has been reached, and the time
> normal system userspace took to initialize. Note that these
> measurements simply measure the time passed up to the point where all
> system services have been spawned, but not necessarily until they
> fully finished initialization or the disk is idle.
>
> systemd-analyze blame prints a list of all running units, ordered by
> the time they took to initialize. This information may be used to
> optimize boot-up times. Note that the output might be misleading as
> the initialization of one service might be slow simply because it
> waits for the initialization of another service to complete.

Thanks for this, I now see some samba related services being rather long.

>> So you are before a screen with almost no message, not knowing if it works or not.
> Do you have "quiet" on the kernel cmdline?

I have debian's default. I did not touch it and behaviour changed.
That's the problem.

So it seems there is a quiet on the default command line, which does not
mean same thing when using systemd or using init.
I do not want full verbose, I would like previous behaviour. Where I
could see in one glance whether it was working or blocked without having
too many messages.