Re: >800MiB of archives - only 2 changelogs ?? - debmirror related?

On 5/14/14, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 05/13/2014 01:44 AM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>
>> I am wondering why, when I do an apt-get dist-upgrade, I get one or
>> two 'changelog' or 'news' type entries out of nearly a gig of
>> updates?
>>
>> I would expect many many more, or none at all. I don't understand.
>
> At first blush, it sounds like apt-listchanges (which is what shows
> changelogs when running apt-get) is configured to show you only NEWS
> entries, rather than changelog entries; the former are much rarer than
> the latter, and in many cases may even not appear at all. On my systems
> it's always displayed both, and I've never customized this as far as I
> recall - but according to the current version of the man page, the
> default is to show only NEWS.
>
> Check /etc/apt/listchanges.conf, and look for the 'which' option. If
> it's set to "news", that would explain what you're seeing; try setting
> it to 'changelogs' or to 'both'.

That was certainly it. Must be the new default (for value of 'new' ~=
4yrs?). Anyway, in the light of all this, it seems the NEWS files make
no sense at all.

Is there a rationale for showing NEWS files, or what they're s'posed
to contain? I'm not seeing why news files are displayed only, or the
significance of them, based on the ones I've read.