Re: Best list for server only traffic?

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 5:14 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:
On 5/8/2014 2:11 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
Especially when viewed in the light that a Linux desktop, and the Xorg
system sits on top of a Linux server.

Not on *mine* they don't. Anyone who puts Xorg on a linux server (unless maybe it is their own personal SOHO server - but on an internet facing mail/we server? please...) is insane - imnsho...

Are you deliberately being obtuse, or did you miss the the pun? :)

If you are running X11 sessions, they run as client/server pairs. (Although, if you are supporting "thin client" workstations, the X11 server sessions run on the "thin client workstations" and the X11 client sessions run on the machines usually considered to be the network servers.) Since most Linux-based workstations include both the client and server in one box, you would assume that most desktop Linux-based machines are at least running the X11 server.

Which would be to say that it would be really, really hard to have a non-server user list for debian.

Ergo, server questions are germane when posted here.

I was simply looking for a lower bandwidth list that had a more focused traffic.

If you have questions, use an appropriate subject line and ask them here to start with and use your calibrated eyeballs to fish the responses out of the list. If there are better lists or other resources, someone here will usually direct you there.

If you are interested in learning from the general experiences of others who use debian systems to host various services, again, you can just ignore posts with uninteresting subject lines.

I must say, though, I've picked up some good tips for running various services from the middle of flame wars, so I can understand the temptation to read every post. You just have to be willing to miss some of those when you don't have time to read every post. (Which is most of the time for me these days.)

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.