Re: Best list for server only traffic?

On 09/05/14 06:14, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 5/8/2014 2:11 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Especially when viewed in the light that a Linux desktop, and the
>> Xorg system sits on top of a Linux server.
>
> Not on *mine* they don't. Anyone who puts Xorg on a linux server
> (unless maybe it is their own personal SOHO server - but on an
> internet facing mail/we server? please...) is insane - imnsho...

A significant percentage of the population fits that category - and not
just M$ "Server" "administrators", some of the (self-described) Linux
guru's on this list do similarly, um, eccentric, things - like install a
desktop on a *VPS*.

>> Ergo, server questions are germane when posted here.

Yes. Unless they are vague and useless, e.g. how do you run a server?
how much does a server weigh? where can I meet a nice server? etc.

> I was simply looking for a lower bandwidth list that had a more
> focused traffic.

"Server" is no less vague than "Desktop", or "typical SOHO" (apologies
to the obtuse).

There are a number of excellent online resources for various server
needs - *if you define precisely what and how you are serving*?

Otherwise you may find "debian administration" broadly includes more
"server" than "desktop" - and there are several good forums for such.

Kind regards