Re: Question about wheezy-backports

On Sat, 3 May 2014 23:28:22 -0600
Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:

 Is there also a simple list of backported debs that I can browse
> on the web to know what is available, or a wiki pointer? I'd rather
> not subscribe to another list and monitor it regularly just for the
> very rare occation when I actually need a backport.
>
> TIA

For a list of all the packages in the backports repository:
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy-backports/allpackages

When you have the repository in /etc/apt/sources.list, and you want to
check if there is a newer version of a particular package, use

apt-cache policy <package name>

You may need to run 'apt-get update' first to sync the package indexes
if you don't upgrade often.

Once you have installed a package from backports, updates to that
backport will be automatic though. You only need to explicitly specify
the backports target for the initial update from stable.