Re: Question about wheezy-backports

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 1:28 AM, Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:

> I have added to my sources.list the following line:
>
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-backports main
>
> But according to http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/, that won't
> make the backport appear in interactive aptitude, or be automatically
> 'upgraded' to the backported version.  To actually install the
> backport, I also have to add the phrase -t wheezy-backports to the
> install command. And I have to know that there is a backport for the
> particular deb in which I have an interest. I suppose I could try
> reading the debian-backports-announce mailinglist, but I am so seldom
> bothered with having the latest version that I can't believe I will do
> that. Is there also a simple list of backported debs that I can browse
> on the web to know what is available, or a wiki pointer? I'd rather
> not subscribe to another list and monitor it regularly just for the
> very rare occation when I actually need a backport.

The wheezy-backports archive has an apt priority of 100 (because it's
marked as "NotAutomatic: yes" and "ButAutomaticUpgrades: yes") so a
package from wheezy-backports will be upgraded automatically, unless
there's that package with a more recent version is installed or
available from another archive.

You can list all the wheezy-backports packages with "aptitude search
~Awheezy-backports".

I've never used this search term but aptitude has a search for new
packages. I assume that a package is somehow marked as new after
"apt-get update" or "aptitude update".

You can narrow the search to wheezy-backports with "aptitude search
'?narrow(~Awheezy-backports,~N)'".