Re: Question about wheezy-backports

On 4 May 2014 01:22, Tom Furie <tom@furie.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, May 03, 2014 at 11:28:22PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
>> I have added to my sources.list the following line:
>>
>> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-backports main
>>
>> But according to http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/, that won't
>> make the backport appear in interactive aptitude, or be automatically
>> 'upgraded' to the backported version.  To actually install the
>> backport, I also have to add the phrase -t wheezy-backports to the
>> install command. And I have to know that there is a backport for the
>> particular deb in which I have an interest. I suppose I could try
>> reading the debian-backports-announce mailinglist, but I am so seldom
>> bothered with having the latest version that I can't believe I will do
>> that. Is there also a simple list of backported debs that I can browse
>> on the web to know what is available, or a wiki pointer? I'd rather
>> not subscribe to another list and monitor it regularly just for the
>> very rare occation when I actually need a backport.
>
> Probably not quite what you're looking for, but with a backports entry
> in your sources.list you can search or limit within aptitude with
> '?version(bpo)'. With a limit view this will only show available
> packages which have a version in backports (specifically it will limit
> to any packages with "bpo" in the version string, which all backports
> do).
>
> Cheers,
> Tom
>
> --
> : How would you disambiguate these situations?
>
> By shooting the person who did the latter.
>                 -- Larry Wall in <199710290235.SAA02444@wall.org>

Well, after adding backports to your sources.list file, you can run
apt-cache policy <package> in order to see *from* which repo are going
to be downloaded, thus, all packages that have a backported version
are shown. Maybe you'll be playing a little with apt-preferences
config if there are several packages (or dependencies) that must
belong to backports.

--

~ Happy install !

Erick.