Re: Debian 7.x and desktop environments

On Sat, 3 May 2014, Robert Holtzman wrote:

On Sat, May 03, 2014 at 02:28:32PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

<snip>

One thing that I note - in using the xfce version of the Debian 7.4
amd64, I could not find (without entering the installation
component) a hard disk ustility, for partition work on the hard
drive (like gparted, I think it was, in GNOME 2 on Debian 6.x), to
edit the partitioning on a Win 8 computer, before installing
anything else on that computer. I looked in both the Systems ->
Admin and Systems -> Preferences, and, in the System Utilities
components of the menus, for a disk utility, for editing the
partitions, but, could not find one.

"which parted" would tell you if it's on the system at all...or, if all
else fails, look in synaptic......or, if all else *really* fails, just say
"the Hell with it" and download gparted.

I did not know that a package could be downloaded and installed and run within a LIVE session, without Internet access (I do not know about configuring the hosts settings, within a LIVE session, without interfering with what is already installed on the hard drive), and without the package (and the operating system) needing to be installed on the hard drive.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."