Re: Debian 7.x and desktop environments

On Sat, May 03, 2014 at 02:28:32PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Sat, 3 May 2014, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>
> >No wonder 'we' are not winning the desktop war. (sigh)
> >

> I dunno.
>
> I think this thing about "not winning the desktop war", may be an
> "urban myth", or, may otherwise be proven wrong.

What's the reason for this conclusion, or is it a hunch?

> With things like Windows 8, that I have found to be designed to
> prevent funtionality (does it ever allow a user to do what the user
> wants?), I believe that even MS Windows 3, was more useable than
> Windows 8.
>
> Ah, if only GNOME 2 would still be available for the curent versions
> of operating systems, it would be supreme )?) .
>
> One thing that I note - in using the xfce version of the Debian 7.4
> amd64, I could not find (without entering the installation
> component) a hard disk ustility, for partition work on the hard
> drive (like gparted, I think it was, in GNOME 2 on Debian 6.x), to
> edit the partitioning on a Win 8 computer, before installing
> anything else on that computer. I looked in both the Systems ->
> Admin and Systems -> Preferences, and, in the System Utilities
> components of the menus, for a disk utility, for editing the
> partitions, but, could not find one.

"which parted" would tell you if it's on the system at all...or, if all
else fails, look in synaptic......or, if all else *really* fails, just say
"the Hell with it" and download gparted.

--
Bob Holtzman
Our company's mission is to enable data-stream