Re: Debian 7.x and desktop environments

On Sat, 3 May 2014, Scott Ferguson wrote:

No wonder 'we' are not winning the desktop war. (sigh)

I dunno.

I think this thing about "not winning the desktop war", may be an "urban myth", or, may otherwise be proven wrong.

With things like Windows 8, that I have found to be designed to prevent funtionality (does it ever allow a user to do what the user wants?), I believe that even MS Windows 3, was more useable than Windows 8.

Ah, if only GNOME 2 would still be available for the curent versions of operating systems, it would be supreme )?) .

One thing that I note - in using the xfce version of the Debian 7.4 amd64, I could not find (without entering the installation component) a hard disk ustility, for partition work on the hard drive (like gparted, I think it was, in GNOME 2 on Debian 6.x), to edit the partitioning on a Win 8 computer, before installing anything else on that computer. I looked in both the Systems -> Admin and Systems -> Preferences, and, in the System Utilities components of the menus, for a disk utility, for editing the partitions, but, could not find one.

Returning to the issue of the "desktop wars", I have found GNOME 2 easier to use, than the MS Windows desktop, for years, but, I may have become so accustomed to using GNOME 2 and the command line, that I simply can no longer cope with MS Windows. And, Windows 8, is, to put it euphemistically, frustrating, and obstructive, from my experience, like trackpads on "laptops", that go selecting and running things, when I am just trying to use the trackpad to shift the "mouse pointer".

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."