Re: Debian 7.x and desktop environments

On Sat 03 May 2014 at 16:51:38 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Saturday 03 May 2014 16:26:08 Brian wrote:
> > A novice wouldn't even know the hoops were at hand
>
> We all have our own ways of getting round it or living with it.  None
> of these would be easy for a novice.

That is much too generalised for my taste. A non-free issue such as
firmware in d-i is well documented in the Manual. It may be a bit of a
pain but it is the way to go. Easy or not there is a route to follow and
someone new to Debian really has no cause for complaint.

When there is a complete lack of documentation on something as basic as
an aspect of networking in d-i I'd suggest even an experienced user
would be, at the very least, puzzled.

In case filip thinks I was being being over-critical of his suggestion
that was not my intention. Installing a task after a first boot is not a
bad idea for the reason he gives; given the proviso I mentioned.