RE: Debian and Unicode line drawing

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 17:16:30 -0400 (EDT), Aleksander Kurczyk wrote:

> I'm still getting this error.  And I haven't received the last message -
> outlook.com is bouncing e-mails from the list :-(.

CC-ing you due to your stated e-mail problem above.

> According to this:
>
>    https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/04/msg01516.html
>
> For me that's are the default settings of PuTTY after I set the
> "Remote character set" in "Translation" to UTF-8.

What release of PuTTY are you using?  I'm using PuTTY 0.63, which is
the latest release.  In this version, the default value for the terminal
type string is xterm.  At least it is for me.  I have to explicitly change
it to putty, even after setting the remote character set to UTF-8.  Make
sure the terminal type string is all lower case.  Terminal type strings
are case sensitive.  They have to match the terminal type definition in
ncurses.  The putty terminal type definition in ncurses can be found in
/usr/share/terminfo/p.  You can also try a terminal type string of
xterm-utf8.  This terminal type definition in ncurses is found in
/usr/share/terminfo/x.  The latest version of PuTTY can be downloaded
here:

   http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty

> And the line drawing in some programs works fine with it but with some
> like apt no :-(.  Some programs still sends the ppp's and qqq's rows
> after the special VT100 escape char.  I've tried removing the
> "NCURSES_NO_UTF8_ACS=1" var but I'm still getting the same effect.
>
>    http://screeny.olo-web.eu/2014-04-30__11:45:43.png

I assume that this is what the output of

   dpkg-reconfigure locales

looks like, when executed as root, on your system.  Even on a wheezy
system, before upgrading to jessie, this works fine for me.

> According to this:
>
>    https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/04/msg01556.html
>
> I'm using the testing release.  I have just upgraded it after your e-mail.
>
>    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y distupgrade && \
>    sudo apt-get -y upgrade && sudo apt-get -y autoremove && sudo reboot
>
> and unfortunately, apt sill outputs ppp's and qqq's :-(.

First of all, the proper upgrade procedure for an upgrade from wheezy
to jessie goes like this.  First, become root.  Then, edit /etc/apt/apt.conf
and remove any "default-release" specification that may exist.  Save the
file and exit the editor.  Then edit /etc/apt/sources.list and remove
any releases defined except wheezy.  Then change wheezy to jessie.
Then, comment out the jessie-updates site and the security site, since these
should not be used with the current testing release.  Save file file and exit
the editor.  Then issue the following series of commands:

   apt-get update
   apt-get upgrade
   apt-get dist-upgrade

I do not recommend the use of the -y option.  This, of course, assumes that
you are starting out with an up-to-date wheezy release to begin with, no
packages are on hold, all packages that have been removed but not purged
have been purged, no packages are in a funky state, all obsolete packages
have been purged, etc.

But ...

Your use of sudo leads me to believe that you may be using a Debian
derivative, such as Ubuntu, rather than native Debian.  I cannot give
you upgrade advice for anything other than native Debian.  That's what
I use, and that's what I know.  Consult your distribution's documentation
for the proper procedure to upgrade from one release to another.

> Do you know which packages has been upgraded at yout server?
> Mine is a Parallels Virtuozzo VPS and the Debian image may not contain
> some packages.

My Debian s390x server has about 375 packages installed, give or take
a few, the majority of which were updated in the upgrade from wheezy to
jessie.  It is not practical for me to list them all here.

By the way, thank you for not top-posting.  But it would also be helpful
if you would try to limit the length of all your lines to less than 80
characters.  I have reformatted your message to conform to these guidelines.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :