Re: Debian and Unicode line drawing

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 20:50:18 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:

> I am unable to reproduce the problem you are having with dpkg-reconfigure.
> Perhaps you would be so good as to give the name of a specific package that
> you are trying to reconfigure in which you have the problem.  I tried
> reconfiguring locales, and the box-drawing characters seemed to be working
> just fine.

I think I just stumbled across this bug.  I did an upgrade from wheezy to
jessie today on one of my servers.  Early on in the upgrade, I got the following
full-screen panel:

-----

Package configuration

lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqu Configuring libc6:s390x tqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
x Running services and programs that are using NSS need to be restarted,    x
x otherwise they might not be able to do lookup or authentication any more  x
x (for services such as ssh, this can affect your ability to login).        x
x Please review the following space-separated list of init.d scripts for    x
x services to be restarted now, and correct it if needed.                   x
x                                                                           x
x Note: restarting sshd/telnetd should not affect any existing              x
x connections.                                                              x
x                                                                           x
x Services to restart for GNU libc library upgrade:                         x
x                                                                           x
x vsftpd exim4 cron atd____________________________________________________ x
x                                                                           x
x                                  <Ok>                                     x
x                                                                           x
mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj

-----

(34-line screen).  But then, later on in the upgrade, I got another full-screen
panel that looked like this:

-----

Package configuration

┌─────────────────────┤ Configuring libssl1.0.0:s390x ├─────────────────────┐
│ This release of OpenSSL fixes some security issues. Services will not     │
│ use these fixes until they are restarted. Please note that restarting     │
│ the SSH server (sshd) should not affect any existing connections.         │
│                                                                           │
│ Please check the list of detected services that need to be restarted and  │
│ correct it, if needed. The services names must be identical to the        │
│ initialization script names in /etc/init.d and separated by spaces. No    │
│ services will be restarted if the list is empty.                          │
│                                                                           │
│ Any service that later fails unexpectedly after this upgrade should be    │
│ restarted. It is recommended to reboot this host to avoid any             │
│ SSL-related trouble.                                                      │
│                                                                           │
│ Services to restart to make them use the new libraries:                   │
│                                                                           │
│ vsftpd ssh exim4_________________________________________________________ │
│                                                                           │
│                                  <Ok>                                     │
│                                                                           │
└───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

-----

So, either this bug is intermittent (i.e. sometimes it manifests itself, and
sometimes it doesn't), or else the bug was fixed between the first panel and
the second panel by the update of one the packages.  It will be interesting
to see if this bug ever shows up again on a server running jessie (or later).

Can you reproduce the problem on demand?  If so, is the host running jessie,
or an earlier release?  Can you reproduce the problem on a jessie system?

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :