Re: integrating Debian into a windows 2003 domain

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:47:06 +0100
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am trying to integrate my computer into the domain at work. Until
> know I did not really tried, but I tried to search around the web for
> more than 20m and only found documents which were at least 4 years
> old, and so, using tools that were no longer present...
>
> So, do someone have some pointer to a document explaining how to
> integrate a modern debian ( with samba 4.x ) into a windows 2003
> server ( yes, I know that this windows version is almost not
> maintained, and ... but i do not mind, it's not my enterprise, and
> I'm not a sysadmin :) ).
>
> I would like to at least be able to access shared directories and
> printers... not really urgent, but might be useful sooner or later.

did u see the nixCraft page about accessing wintows shares?
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/access-windows-shares-from-linux/

Regarding the printer, Im not sure but if the printers are running by
themselves(I mean not under direct ruling from the window server; and
even in this case I don't see how the server could really stop you from
accessing the printer_in a simple environment_), you can access them
with cups.

And, maybe you know it, but you need the driver for the printer on your
box, even if it is a network printer.

HTH