Re: Jessie Post-Install

On Sat 29 Mar 2014 at 08:31:00 -0400, Stephen Allen wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 12:10:50AM +0000, Brian wrote:
> >
> > You might have been less surprised after reading the release notes:
> >
> >    https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/News/2014/20140319
>
> OK Touche - Still not upgrading but doing a clean install. My
> understanding was that Xfce4 was default on CDs, only because of space
> limitations - this was a net install. As it was Xfce4 was a strange
> looking beast, had a hard time finding anything to configure the
> network. Thankfully I'm not new to the cli.

This is more recent:

Gnome is offered as an alternative DE under Advanced Options.

> My point is though - How could a new user to Debian (say from Windows)
> been expected to know how to get WiFi going?

Such a user would serve himself better by installing stable and then
upgrading to Jessie rather than getting involved in helping to test an
alpha version of d-i. Its inability to detect and load missing firmware
would be an immediate showstopper if, unlike your device, his wireless
device required firmware.

> > You installed a DE so you should expect WiFi to be operative after the
> > install if you used it during it.
>
> Exactly. I'll file a bug.

I'm afraid my experience is the opposite to yours; WiFi works as it did
during the install.

During the install the network is set up by netcfg and wpasupplicant in
/target/etc/network/interfaces. The Xfce4 task brings in network-manager
and network-manager-gnome. At the very end (when d-i tells you to remove
the installation medium) the /e/n/i lines are removed and NM takes over.

This last bit does not happen if you install with a wired connection
(the /e/n/i lines are retained) or do not have a DE (the lines in /e n/i
are deleted, NM has not been installed so in this case WiFi afterwards
is unavailable).