Re: Jessie Post-Install

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 12:10:50AM +0000, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 28 Mar 2014 at 19:33:44 -0400, Stephen Allen wrote:
>
> > After the installation, my wifi wasn't configured (despite it being
> > configured during the net-install) and was very surprised to have Xfce
> > as +my default desktop environment. I had been expecting and wanting
> > Gnome-Shell.
>
> You might have been less surprised after reading the release notes:
>
>    https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/News/2014/20140319

OK Touche - Still not upgrading but doing a clean install. My
understanding was that Xfce4 was default on CDs, only because of space
limitations - this was a net install. As it was Xfce4 was a strange
looking beast, had a hard time finding anything to configure the
network. Thankfully I'm not new to the cli.

My point is though - How could a new user to Debian (say from Windows)
been expected to know how to get WiFi going?

> > Shouldn't the wifi have been configured? How in the hell would have a
> > newbie been expected to configure it manually? Should a bug be filed
> > for +that?
>
> You installed a DE so you should expect WiFi to be operative after the
> install if you used it during it.

Exactly. I'll file a bug.

--
Steve