Re: [SOLVED]Grub does not recognize lvm physical volume by uuid after restart

On 03/25/2014 05:05 PM, André Nunes Batista wrote:
On Tue, 2014-03-25 at 14:15 -0300, André Nunes Batista wrote:
On Mon, 2014-03-24 at 12:36 +0000, Darac Marjal wrote:
On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:17:17PM +0000, Joe wrote:
On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 11:17:53 +0000
Darac Marjal <mailinglist@darac.org.uk> wrote:

Now, I'm not certain about this, but I suspect that either the
initramfs hasn't recognised that I'm using LVM, or it just isn't
starting the LVM on its own.

I haven't actually investigated this, but it might be related to bug
#616689.

Except... both the OP's initramfs and mine do recognise the swap
partition within LVM, but not any others.

And my system is (apparently) OK after downgrading grub from the latest
version.

Ah. Sorry for the noise, then.

Your answer proved not be noise at all. I tried to follow Joe's steps
and downgraded grub2-common, grub-common, grub-pc and grub-pc-bin all to
jessie (2.00-22), ran update-grub2 and then grub-install /dev/sda and
lost my grub.cfg.

I've restored it using supergrubdisk, which, when booting, gave me
access to that previous initramfs shell. Then I ran vgchange -ay ^D, ^D
and was able to boot the system.

One thing caught my eye through the process: grub says it's generating
configs for i386 only, but this machine uses amd64 kernel. As soon as I
get the chance I'll read #616689 and try to investigate it further on
this machine. Currently it only boots through this forced activation
method you taught me.

I'm marking this thread as solved as I finally got to restore the system
boot process. To anyone who may care, after booting the OS as described
above, I once again reconfigured grub packages, keeping it downgraded to
2.00-22, as suggested by Joe. After that I could update-grub2 and got no
complaints when installing to /dev/sda.

Since I could not figure out if it was bug #616689 or #741652 (initramfs
or grub), I've replied both and I guess any further debugging better be
handled on one of those than here. So problem solved.

and John, I do not need assistance with SGD, thank you, it worked just
as expected.

It's only been since the last week that my Ubuntu harddrive was automatically added with update-grub. Some package upgraded did the trick I suppose. And no, I didn't have to "fix my system". Ric

/https://linuxcounter.net/cert/44256.png /