Re: Grub does not recognize lvm physical volume by uuid after restart

On Mon, 2014-03-24 at 12:36 +0000, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:17:17PM +0000, Joe wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 11:17:53 +0000
> > Darac Marjal <mailinglist@darac.org.uk> wrote:
> >

> > > Now, I'm not certain about this, but I suspect that either the
> > > initramfs hasn't recognised that I'm using LVM, or it just isn't
> > > starting the LVM on its own.
> > >
> > > I haven't actually investigated this, but it might be related to bug
> > > #616689.
> >
> > Except... both the OP's initramfs and mine do recognise the swap
> > partition within LVM, but not any others.
> >
> > And my system is (apparently) OK after downgrading grub from the latest
> > version.
>
> Ah. Sorry for the noise, then.

Your answer proved not be noise at all. I tried to follow Joe's steps
and downgraded grub2-common, grub-common, grub-pc and grub-pc-bin all to
jessie (2.00-22), ran update-grub2 and then grub-install /dev/sda and
lost my grub.cfg.

I've restored it using supergrubdisk, which, when booting, gave me
access to that previous initramfs shell. Then I ran vgchange -ay ^D, ^D
and was able to boot the system.

One thing caught my eye through the process: grub says it's generating
configs for i386 only, but this machine uses amd64 kernel. As soon as I
get the chance I'll read #616689 and try to investigate it further on
this machine. Currently it only boots through this forced activation
method you taught me.

--
André N. Batista
GNUPG/PGP KEY: 6722CF80