Re: Grub does not recognize lvm physical volume by uuid after restart

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 05:27:54PM -0300, André Nunes Batista wrote:
> Hello dear debian users!
>
> Recently, one jessie notebook I administer went through a forceful
> shutdown (holding down the power button) and after that grub cannot see
> the lvm physical volume by uuid. After trying to load the volume for
> some seconds, it gives the following message and drops to a minimal
> initramfs shell:
>
> Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
> - Boot args
>  - check rootdelay=(long enough?)
>  - check root=(right device?)
> - Missing modules
> ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/090f9d09g0f9g-xx-xxxxxx does not exist.
> Dropping to a shell
>
> Using this minimal shell I'm able to go to this path and it actually
> does not contain any reference to this physical volume. Also,
> on /dev/mapper/ there is no reference to the root and home logical
> volumes, but there is a reference to the swap logical volume.
>
> Using a live distribution I had no problem mounting this volume and
> accessing its contents, so no real damage, but I would be glad on some
> pointers on how to make grub recognize it again. I've tried booting
> "by-id" and old school "/dev/sdaX" directly but had no luck.
>
> It was once installed using the default guided lvm partition from debian
> installer.

I've been seeing this issue on a machine I have with root on LVM. My own
suspicion is that it's an initramfs problem.

I've been working around it by, at the initramfs prompt, entering:
  $ lvm
  lvm> vgscan
  lvm> vgchange -ay
  lvm> ^D
  $ ^D

and boot-up continues.

Now, I'm not certain about this, but I suspect that either the initramfs
hasn't recognised that I'm using LVM, or it just isn't starting the LVM
on its own.

I haven't actually investigated this, but it might be related to bug
#616689.