initramfs-tools or dracut ? (was Re: Grub does not recognize lvm physical volume by uuid after restart)

Hello,

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 6:15 PM, André Nunes Batista
<andrenbatista@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-03-24 at 12:36 +0000, Darac Marjal wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:17:17PM +0000, Joe wrote:

>> > Except... both the OP's initramfs and mine do recognise the swap
>> > partition within LVM, but not any others.
>> >
>> > And my system is (apparently) OK after downgrading grub from the latest
>> > version.
>>
>> Ah. Sorry for the noise, then.
>>

> Your answer proved not be noise at all. I tried to follow Joe's steps
> and downgraded grub2-common, grub-common, grub-pc and grub-pc-bin all to
> jessie (2.00-22), ran update-grub2 and then grub-install /dev/sda and
> lost my grub.cfg.
>
> I've restored it using supergrubdisk, which, when booting, gave me
> access to that previous initramfs shell. Then I ran vgchange -ay ^D, ^D
> and was able to boot the system.
>
> One thing caught my eye through the process: grub says it's generating
> configs for i386 only, but this machine uses amd64 kernel. As soon as I
> get the chance I'll read #616689 and try to investigate it further on
> this machine. Currently it only boots through this forced activation
> method you taught me.
This thread remember me what happens to me last week:

I had a grml installation (which I expect to have a behaviour exactly
like a debian system now that I installed all the packages that I
needed from debian sid).

That installation was without lvm, all contents to one partitioin.

So the last week I wanted to change that installation and move to lvm
style. So I backed data, created partitions, and tried to update grub
/ etc/fstab .. from chroot

I knew about #741342 Debian Bug, so I workaround about it with
GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID="true" hack

The result of that movement was a unbootable system (grub rebooted the system)

After researching grub or kernel parameters, like panic, I find about
where was the error:

initramfs generated inside the chroot was failed and lsinitramfs list
an empty initramfs empty  (after research I hit another bug [1])

Compressing initramfs generated, lsinitramfs show only this file:
kernel/x86/microcode/GenuineIntel.bin

So finally I copied an initramfs from other sid machine, and it worked.

Then I tried to regenerate initramfs from scratch in the machine, and
like I didn't know about [1] bug, I think it was erroneus. I didn't
report any bug because it was a grml system when it was installed.

Then I tried to install dracut (which is an alternative to
initramfs-tools) and it worked like a charms. lsinitr* worked again,
and I could boot without any problem

So, how do you extract your initramfs content ? There is a patch at
[1], but it is not being accepted by the maintainer. (I guess dd and
offset commands illustrated at the bug will work)

I will try to return to initramfs-tools and see if the generated
initramfs is working (like it seems)

Regards,

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=717805