Re: initialization package for a new server?

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:04:29AM +0100, Thomas Luzat wrote:
> You can do that. I would not necessarily recommend that, but it's
> comparatively simple.

Likewise.

> 2. Preseed the installer's questions. See
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed and follow the links.

I recommend this, but do as little as possible in the install stage,
(because this layer is pretty flaky in my experience), just get the
thing up and running, and do as much as possible in...

> 3. Use provisioning software which configures your system according to
> "recipes". Two popular choices (but not the only ones) are:

...this stage. I currently use puppet, having formerly used cfengine2.
Either are fine. Both (afaik) require setting up some infrastructure to
support their operation. Another (which is infrastructure-free, and
quite lightweight) is ansible

http://www.ansible.com/home

Which I have not tried myself, but looks interesting and is getting
a lot of traction in the communities I am aware of.