Re: initialization package for a new server?

On Du, 23 mar 14, 22:06:02, Peter Michaux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to automate the creation of a new web server as much as
> possible. It would seem ideal if I do not have to edit any files at
> all but rather only install packages. I have my own simple APT
> repository accessible via SSH but the new server must first be
> configured to know about that simple APT repository. Is it a good
> approach to make a "initialization" .deb package with the following
> files
>
>     /etc/apt/source.list
>     /home/.ssh/id_rsa

If you have to do this at least use snippets in .d directories wherever
you can (e.g. /etc/apt/sources.list.d/).

> This package would also require the openssh-client package. After this
> "initialization" package is installed directly using `dpkg install`

If the package requires openssh-client (as in Depends: openssh-client),
dpkg will refuse to install it unless you provide the openssh-client
.deb package as well, you will need an additional 'apt-get install -f'
to accomplish that.

> then everything else could be installed with `apt-get install` from my
> APT repository. (This would mean all servers with access to the APT
> repository would be using the same SSH private key.)

What does ssh have to do with APT repositories?

Kind regards,
Andrei