Re: confusion on KVM virtualization (debian admin handbook)

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:45:26AM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> Book teaches us to create volume first then assign it to vm with
> Virt-install command however, we can also create image on runtime with
> virt-install command. we do not need volume to be set before creating a VM.
> so my question is what is the difference b/w the two methods.
> if i create Volume first then assign or if i create image directly from
> virt-installl command what are the pros and cons.

I think it's mostly six of one and half a dozen of the other. If you are
not using sparse volumes, disk creation can take quite a lot of time, so
it might be logistically easier to batch the creation of a lot of
volumes before you start installing VMs, especially if you need to
re-run the install process a few times as you tweak parameters.