[OT] Re: Fonts providing emojis?

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 07:20:56AM +0100, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
> Chris Bannister writes:
>  > On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 09:26:01AM +0100, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
>  > > on Ottoman turkish (arabic writing - btw ancient Greek students already
>  > > had TeX (if they knew they had it ;) ).
>  >
>  > Ay what? How old *is* Mr Knuth?
>
> Two things.
>
> - Dr. Knuth will never be "old", he will be at most "ancient".
>
> - I am sorry, but my limited English skills prevent me from understanding
>   what your statement. Could you help me? Thank you in advance.

Ancient Greek students were x years ago, Dr. Knuth was born y years
ago. Your statement insinuates that y > x  :)

Ah! It just occurred to me. Did you mean "ancient-Greek students" or
"ancient Greek-students"?

I assumed the latter, (TBH. The former meaning never occurred to me until
now.), because:
a) http://www.otago.ac.nz/courses/subjects/clas.html where the study of
ancient Greece is referred to as classical studies.

b) If it was present day students, then your phrase would/should read
"... ancient Greek students already *HAVE* TeX ..." (emphasis is mine.)

Anyway, my joke fell flat. :( Apologies for the diversion.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X