Re: modem hangup problems continue

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 01:19:43PM +0100, Wilko Fokken wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 04:10:42PM -0700, Mike McClain wrote:
> > I'm running Squeeze on a P3 board and dialup.
> > My modem gets hungup after 2.5 minutes about 30% - 40% of the time I
> > connect. Being idle, in the middle of fetching email or loading a
> > webpage seems to make no difference. Is there any way to log all
> > transactions going to the modem which is on ttyS2? Something like
> > script but for a serial port?
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
<snip>

> In Your case, I would remove the modem's box, as serial modems don't seem to
> be sufficiently ventilated, and hang it's electronic plate vertically to cool
> it even more: = minus one construction site.

In my case it's an internal PCI USR 5610 modem.

> Another delicate spot is the serial interrupts, due to poor hardware design,
> if you work with old hardware: Your modem could interfere with e.g. a serial
> mouse etc.:
>
> Try running your modem with another interrupt, w/out X, disconnect your mouse..
> Look into your BIOS.
>
> I reduced my serial modem speed from 115200 to 57600, as the phone line
> needs only 56 Kbit.

It's my understanding that the 115200 is between the CPU and the modem
while the 57600 is negotiated between the modems and they settle on
what speed they both can handle over the link but I'm not an expert or
I wouldn't be asking for help.

<snip>

Thanks for your thoughts.
Mike
--
It's not always polite to speak your mind.