Re: modem hangup problems continue

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 04:10:42PM -0700, Mike McClain wrote:
> I'm running Squeeze on a P3 board and dialup.
> My modem gets hungup after 2.5 minutes about 30% - 40% of the time I
> connect. Being idle, in the middle of fetching email or loading a
> webpage seems to make no difference. Is there any way to log all
> transactions going to the modem which is on ttyS2? Something like
> script but for a serial port?

> Thanks,
> Mike

> --
> "Education is a man's going from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty."

Moin mitnanner,

until recently, I was using a modem myself (now it is being substituted by LTE).

With my old 9/11 clunker, I am still running Lenny (kernel 2.6). My usb modem,
undressed to it's electronic plate to keep it cool, worked reliably except for
one aspect: When I disconnected it from the internet after a certain amount of
data transfer, the modem was blocked and I had to pull it's usb plug in order to
restore it to working condition. Then it worked reliably again.

(This problem did not show up when I connected it to a jounger laptop running
Wheezy.)

Killing and restarting it's drivers had no effect. So, I just lived with it
suspecting some usb idiosycrasy.

In Your case, I would remove the modem's box, as serial modems don't seem to
be sufficiently ventilated, and hang it's electronic plate vertically to cool
it even more: = minus one construction site.

Another delicate spot is the serial interrupts, due to poor hardware design,
if you work with old hardware: Your modem could interfere with e.g. a serial
mouse etc.:

Try running your modem with another interrupt, w/out X, disconnect your mouse..
Look into your BIOS.

I reduced my serial modem speed from 115200 to 57600, as the phone line
needs only 56 Kbit.

If that helps, you have probably found the culprit: rearrange your serial
interrupts. Try plugging your serial modem cable to another computer outlet,
+ rearrange your driver's configuration.

If everything fails, buy an ELSA usb modem (they work with Linux and should
be cheaper by now), plug it in and look into '/var/log/messages'; my driver
was '/dev/ACM0'. ELSA modems have worked well for me, so I'll keep my for
reverence and as a backup.

Good luck!

Wilko

--