Re: Security Implications of running startx from command line - was Re: Startx: was Great Debian experience

On Jo, 20 mar 14, 12:44:21, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> Anyone with physical access to your computer could:
>
> a) logout of your gui session (if it's not screensaver locked), taking
> them back to your command line, and depending on your settings of
> /etc/sudoers tty_tickets or respectively !tty_tickets setting - see
> man sudoers) might give them instant root access;
> either way, mischief may ensure.

1. tty_tickets is enabled by default

2. even if you do disable it, if my understanding of the man page is
correct, the attacker doesn't need the console, but can use any terminal
emulator (as another poster already mentioned)

3. any user, with or without root access, who doesn't lock his
workstation as needed[1] deserves his fate.

[1] IMVHO it's reasonable to have different policies at home compared to
publicly installed (work) computers, but always locking your workstation
is probably a good habit to acquire.

Kind regards,
Andrei