Re: lighttpd server configs

On Wed, 2014-03-19 at 22:40 +0000, Steve wrote:
> > nginx which was too hard to manage also. I now have lighttpd installed
> > which seems simple to manage but out of the box Debian install does not
> > work properly.
>
>   Be specific.  What fails?

Sorry I thought I was being VERY specific: Please see below:

> > I want to get it running with the web contents located
> > in /var/www/; Its a mediawiki site and should run as it is installed
> > directly into the main document directory. However, when I try to use
> > http://localhost. or http://127.0.0.1  or the actual IP address of the
> > computer on my network, it fails.

If I key in any url into the browser bar (on the machine that is the
actual server) such as "localhost" or 127.0.0.1 or the actual network
address of the server 192.168.1.7 the result is that lighttpd "seems" to
rewrite the requested url to the one shown below: however there is NO
response at all; Just a blank page. No matter what I put as the
requested page index.php shows up in the url rewrite with the double
slashes. Now for the mediawiki site: index.php is the correct page, but
still its not serving any content. Also, If if I try to use
localhost/dwww the opening page loads but it will not serve other pages:
however with localhost/phpmyadmin, it seems to work properly. Some of
this may be the result of mediawiki. However if I put in
localhost/index.lighttpd.html   I do not get the actual page requested,
and that page is installed by the debian install system.
>   Clearly you receive some response, since you mention a redirection.
>  You need to say what fails?  Does it serve gibberish?  Does it not
>  execute PHP?  Does it report an unrelated error about databases?
>
> > This pops up in the url bar of the
> > browser:
> >
> > http://www.physicswiki.net//index.php?title=Main_Page
>
>   And this page loads for me, leading me to imagine you've silently
>  resolved your problem.

No I just had NOT used another computer (that was not connected to my
network) to try to open the site. I tried it using a cell phone & it
does indeed work exactly as required. This is still a mystery to me as I
have never seen any url like the one with the double slashes in it..that
worked. Also I NEED it to be able to serve the site on the system that
is the actual server, because that is where I do the editing of the
site. I'm fully aware that this is likely my own lack of knowledge &
that is exactly why I posed the query here.
Thanks
John