Re: lighttpd server configs

> nginx which was too hard to manage also. I now have lighttpd installed
> which seems simple to manage but out of the box Debian install does not
> work properly.

  Be specific.  What fails?

> I want to get it running with the web contents located
> in /var/www/; Its a mediawiki site and should run as it is installed
> directly into the main document directory. However, when I try to use
> http://localhost. or http://127.0.0.1  or the actual IP address of the
> computer on my network, it fails.

  Clearly you receive some response, since you mention a redirection.
 You need to say what fails?  Does it serve gibberish?  Does it not
 execute PHP?  Does it report an unrelated error about databases?

> This pops up in the url bar of the
> browser:
>
> http://www.physicswiki.net//index.php?title=Main_Page

  And this page loads for me, leading me to imagine you've silently
 resolved your problem.

> Except for the $HTTP["host"]  line all this was set up by the debian installer & I've added nothing.
> Any tips or ideas are appreciated.

  In making it "not fail"?  In removing the trailing slash?  In making
 mediawiki install and run?  (That software is not for the faint of
 heart, and I'd struggle to recommend it unless you had very specific
 needs.)

Steve
--
http://www.steve.org.uk/