Re: Read-only rootfs on systemd

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 11:05:20PM +0000, Amit wrote:
>  0) After reboot and running 'lsof +L1':
>     COMMAND  PID     USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NLINK   NODE NAME
>     cupsd    935     root    8r   REG    8,1     1392     0 132095
> /etc/passwd (deleted)

So it's reproducible.

>  1) Shutting down cups:
>     sudo service cups stop
>
>     No /etc/passwd in 'lsof +L1' output

Since cupsd is the only one who writes in there, and you've just stopped
cupsd - that's expected.

>  2) Starting cups:
>     $ sudo /etc/init.d/cups start
>     [ ok ] Starting cups (via systemctl): cups.service.

Oops. That's something I've forgot. I expected sysvinit compatibility
layer to take care of cupsd starting.

>  3) No /etc/passwd in 'lsof +L1' output
>
>  4) fuser output shows cupsd process using /etc/passwd but no output in lsof
> showing '(deleted)'.

Weird. Just checked again, and on my Wheezy install nobody is using
/etc/passwd. Are you running Jessie?

>  At this point remounting as 'ro' works.

As it should be, as nobody is writing to the / filesystem now.

As a workaround to all this, you probably can just restart cups on
system's boot, and remount '/' read-only after that.

As a real solution to the problem, I suggest you to fill a bug report to
http://bugs.debian.org

Reco