Re: Brand new install, now how do I play a Youtube video?

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 10:31:34 -0500
Patrick Chkoreff <pc@loom.cc> wrote:

> I recently installed Debian on this laptop.  Here's the detail:
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux laptop 3.2.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.2.54-2 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> I'm using the IceWeasel browser, but I can't play a Youtube video.  I
> don't want to install Flash because I just cannot stand Adobe.
>
> I searched around and found this:
>
> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=51504
>
> I did what they said there, namely:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install gecko-mediaplayer iceweasel-greasemonkey
>
> Now IceWeasel shows a drop-down menu with a GreaseMonkey icon, and it
> is enabled.
>
> However, I still cannot watch any video on youtube.com.  When I click
> to a video, it shows a black rectangle where the video should be,
> with the message "An error occurred, please try again later."

I got my laptop's Wheezy to play Youtube videos, using the instructions
you referenced above. But I had to do a some fooling around and
experimentation. Also, as I remember, I had to reboot after completing
the instructions and doing my fooling around.

Thanks,

SteveT