Re: Brand new install, now how do I play a Youtube video?

Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com wrote, On 03/06/2014 01:16 PM:

> I got my laptop's Wheezy to play Youtube videos, using the instructions
> you referenced above. But I had to do a some fooling around and
> experimentation. Also, as I remember, I had to reboot after completing
> the instructions and doing my fooling around.

Thanks, it's working great now.  Here's what I did, just to be sure it's
a predictable, well-worn groove on a brand new machine:

1. Do a fresh install of 64-bit Debian on my desktop machine.

2. Add myself to the "sudo" group so I can install stuff:

$ su root
# gpasswd -a patrick sudo
# exit

3. Now install the Gecko Media Player:

$ sudo apt-get update  # I had to do this.
$ sudo apt-get install gecko-mediaplayer

4. Next, reboot the machine.  This is an important step.

5. Open the IceWeasel web browser, visit youtube.com, and watch
"Ultimate Dog Tease".

So now when I'm setting up a new machine for a non-techie friend, I'll
have a reliable answer for "how do I watch funny animal videos?"

-- Patrick