Re: Replacing systemd

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 08:06:59AM -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 08:50:09PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I just checked with my local Linux group (GoLUG), and the opinions
> > there are that systemd is not a particularly good thing. I also heard
> > from our LUG's most vociferous proponent of Daemontools that Daemontools
> > wouldn't be a good replacement because it has no concept of running
> > things in a specific order.
> >
> > So let me ask you this: If I wanted to replace systemd on a future
> > Debian system, what would I replace it with, and how?
> >
> > Note: This is a serious question about technology, not politics, so will
> > the multinamed screamer please stay out of this conversation?
> >
> Personally I'd just stay with sysvinit.  I never understood what is so
> bad about it that it so desperately needs to be replaced.  People will
> talk about boot times, but the occasional fsck is the real boot time
> killer.  A few seconds difference between sysvinit, upstart, systemd,
> etc. doesn't mean much to me, so I'm content to leave things alone.

Boot speed isn't systemd's goal. It's just a side-effect.

Systemd's real goals are being event driven (so, for example, you don't
mount a file system until the device is ready - at the moment, debian
does this with a two-pass mount script: one pass to mount local
filesystems, then another after networking is up to mount remote
filesystems, but this gets messy if you have a complex system.) and
keeping processes grouped (so that if you stop a service, all the
processes it spawned are stopped too. No having to grep the process
table - and worrying about killing every perl instance. At the moment,
this uses CGroups which are, I believe, the main technical problem with
adopting systemd as they aren't available on the FreeBSD kernel).

As the naysayers will point out this IS all achievable in SysV, but it's
awfully complex.