Re: Replacing systemd

On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 08:50:09PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just checked with my local Linux group (GoLUG), and the opinions
> there are that systemd is not a particularly good thing. I also heard
> from our LUG's most vociferous proponent of Daemontools that Daemontools
> wouldn't be a good replacement because it has no concept of running
> things in a specific order.
>
> So let me ask you this: If I wanted to replace systemd on a future
> Debian system, what would I replace it with, and how?
>
> Note: This is a serious question about technology, not politics, so will
> the multinamed screamer please stay out of this conversation?

Personally I'd just stay with sysvinit.  I never understood what is so
bad about it that it so desperately needs to be replaced.  People will
talk about boot times, but the occasional fsck is the real boot time
killer.  A few seconds difference between sysvinit, upstart, systemd,
etc. doesn't mean much to me, so I'm content to leave things alone.

Of course, the more systemd becomes accepted, the more likely it may be
that sysvinit becomes unsupported (either in Debian or upstream).  So
that should be considered when choosing and alternative to systemd.

-Rob