scnner drivers -- Re: Firmware stuff - was systemd troll

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Scott Ferguson
<scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/03/14 16:56, Bret Busby wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> As a single example, I have a multifunction printer, of which, the
>> multifunctionality worked with Debian 5. Now, it is only a laser
>> printer, running with Debian 6 - to use it to scan, I have to scan
>> to a USB drive, and then copy the files to the computer, as Debian 6
>> (and, I believe, similarly, Debian 7) does not provide for the
>> device to wotk with it, other than using a printer driver that is not
>> for the particular model range, and, losing all other interfaced
>> functionality.
>>
>> Surely, it must be possible, to provide backward compatibility, to
>> allow software that ran on earlier versions of Debian, to run on a
>> current stable version?

A couple of years back, sane was deprecated in favor of making
everyone use the "input from twain device" menu option from their
favorite graphics software. I was using Fedora at the time, so I am
not aware how things went here. Sanity has been restored a bit.

But is sane a separate package? I seem to remember having installed
that separately from CUPS. I suppose I could log into my admin account
and check, but I thought I'd suggest Brett check whether sane is
installed before I go off list for the night.

> No, for the same reasons I stated in the previous sentence. However
> that's not the problem, or solution in your case (x-y?).
> You need software support for older hardware, not support for older
> software. I'd be very surprised if that was not possible.
>
> That's a different subject and as such should be posted as a different
> subject. Preferably with the appropriate information so your problem can
> be resolved and so that it isn't just more irrelevant material  clogging
> the list with random, non-productive tangents.
>

>> -- Bret Busby Armadale West Australia ..............
>>
>> "So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what
>> the answer means." - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of Book 1 of "The
>> Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy In Four Parts", written
>> by Douglas Adams, published by Pan Books, 1992

Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.