Re: Re: After moving root partition to ssd, debian boots directly to runlevel 0 (shutdown)

> On 27/02/14 15:37, Meier wrote:
>> In my laptop there is a SSD which I decided to finally use. So I made
>> one big partition out of it, and copied my root file system onto it (cp
>> -ax, while / was mounted read-only). My root filesystem includes /var
>> but not /home or /boot. I'm using the actual debian testing.
>> I made all necessary changes to fstab and grub.
>> The bootloader still resides on the HDD since for whatever reason my
>> system doesn't support to boot from the SSD card.
>> But now when I boot my system it boots correctly, but in the middle of
>> the boot progress it shows me

>> Setting up x sockets ...
>> init: entering runlevel 0
>>
>> and it starts stopping all services and at the end switches off the laptop.
>> If I choose in the grub menu to boot into recovery mode (runlevel 1),
>> and just press ctrl+D instead of entering the root password when being
>> asked for it. It correctly boots to runlevel 2 and starts up the xserver
>> and everything is working perfectly. It's also using the correct
>> partitions and everything.
>> I guessed it could be some kind of timing issue, so I passed the
>> delayroot parameter to the kernel, but that didn't change anything. Also
>> telling the kernel explicitly it should boot to runlevel 2 doesn't
>> change anything. I guess there must be some service or something which
>> forces the system (or kernel) to shutdown directly.
>> In syslog I couldn't find anything helpful since it seems like it
>> doesn't manage to write anything there before shutting down the laptop.
>> So right now I've got no idea what the problem could be.
>> I already changed root partitions/disks on a lot of systems. And never
>> run into this problem.
>> If anybody could give me a hint into the right direction would be great.
>>
>> thanks in advance :-)
>> meier
>>

>I'd check GRUB first and make sure it loads the correct modules and
>looks in the right places for the kernel and fs /.
>
>At the GRUB boot prompt use the arrow keys, if necessary, to make the
>selection the default boot (not the rescue boot) and press "e" to edit
>and look at the lines:-
>;insmod $someModule (should be multiple entries)
>;set root='(dev/$someDevice,$someSliceN)'
>;search $something --set-root $someRootUUID
>;linux $something root=UUID$someKernelUUID
>
>Note $someModule/s $someDevice, $someSliceN, and the last four
>characters of $someRootUUID and $someKernelUUID
>
>Then press F2 or Ctrl-c to open the GRUB shell.
>At the "grub>" prompt type "halt" and press Enter (alternatively you can
>enter "reboot").

thanks a lot for your reply.
Meanwhile I found out what the problem was.
I used
kernel.nmi_watchdog = 0
as kernel parameter, which worked for several months. But for whatever reason
it didn't work anymore once I changed the root partition, with the symptoms
descriped above (doesn't make a lot of sense, but booting without this
parameter makes everything working again).