Re: Continuing to use SysV; LTS

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> On 12/30/2014 5:49 PM, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > If Debian is important to their business, then they should hire
> > people to work on the bits of Debian that matter to them.
>
> That's a great idea. Who's going to pay these people - you?

I donate my own time to work on the parts of Debian that interest and
concern me. My employers donate some of my paid time as well to work on
the parts of Debian which are important for the research that I do. HP,
IBM, Intel, Google, Canonical, Linaro, and many other companies pay
other Debian Developers to work on the parts of Debian which are
important for them.

There's no reason why the companies that you work for can't also expend
some of their budget or employee hours to do the same if Debian (or
whatever distribution they are switching to) is important for their
success. [And since you've indicated that Linux is important to their
success, hopefully they're also contributing to kernel development.]

On Wed, 31 Dec 2014, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> I said the way they are going is not acceptable, so my clients are
> changing distributions.

I've no vested interest in what your clients do, but if they fail to
contribute to whatever distribution they switch to, they will
undoubtedly end up switching again, and spending non-zero sums of money
and employee time to do so.

But at the end of the day, it's your client's budget, and this is free
software.

I've had so much good luck recently I was getting sated with it. It's
like sugar, good luck. At first it's very sweet, but after a while you
start to think: any more of this and I shall be sick.
 -- Adam Roberts _Yellow Blue Tibia_ p301