Re: Continuing to use SysV; LTS [Re: Fwd: Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?]

On 12/30/2014 5:49 PM, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2014, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>> The people there have enough to do at work, and like to have a life
>> outside of work. Believer it or not, not everyone is capable (or
>> interested) in spending their life working on Linux.
>
> If Debian is important to their business, then they should hire people
> to work on the bits of Debian that matter to them. Pretty much everyone
> who is serious about using Debian in production does this.

That's a great idea.  Who's going to pay these people - you?

My clients are not IT folks.  They don't need Debian per say - they DO
need Linux.  And, like all companies, they have a limited budget for
software implementations.

> If they (or anyone else) is interested in doing this, there are numerous
> people who could be hired straight off of the consultants list. If they
> (or anyone else) is having a hard time finding contributors to fund,
> contact leader@debian.org.

And you're going to pay those consultants, right?

>> And they are concerned enough with the way Debian is moving to make
>> the investment in switching. Better to do it now, when they have time,
>> than later when they find out they have to switch quickly.
>
> If they have already decided to switch, then they should start
> contributing to whatever distribution they're going to switch to.

And you're going to pay for these consultants?

Again - these companies are not NOT IT companies.  They are
manufacturers of equipment.  Right now, Debian just happens to be the
distribution they are using.  Yes, they have a couple of people familiar
with Linux administration, but that's about it.  And these administering
Linux is only a very small part of their job.  That's why they hire
people like me to write specific device drivers and other software.  But
they are not going to spend money hiring consultants to work on the OS.

They could use pretty much any distro.  They liked Debian because of its
stability.  But they don't NEED Debian.  If they wanted to spend lots of
time trying to maintain the OS, they would have gone to slackware.

Jerry