Re: Question about MultiArch and dependencies

Sven Joachim wrote:
> Raphaël Halimi wrote:
> > On an amd64 Sid system, steam (i386 only) depends on xterm |
> > x-terminal-emulator. I already have mate-terminal installed, which
> > provides x-terminal-emulator, but both apt and aptitude don't care and
> > want to install xterm along with steam.
> >
> > Shouldn't apt be happy with mate-terminal:amd64 and install steam
> > without pulling xterm in ?
>
> No, because (unlike xterm) mate-terminal is not marked as
> "Multi-Arch: foreign" and thus cannot fulfill dependencies of
> packages from a different architecture[1].

Interesting.  I am learning about multi-arch.  Does this mean that
mate-terminal should be marked as foreign and it was simply something
that was missed there?  Or is not being marked foreign an intentional
choice here so that (in the above amd64 + i386 example) it doesn't
pull in an entire i386 desktop?

Bob