Re: Wheezy->Jessie upgrade: udev (pre)install issue

On 2014-12-27 13:36 +0100, Matthijs wrote:

> After some time during the upgrade process I get the following error
> and upgrade stops:
> --------------------
> Unpacking replacement systemd ...
> dpkg: considering deconfiguration of udev, which would be broken by
> installation of consolekit ...
> dpkg: yes, will deconfigure udev (broken by consolekit)
> Preparing to replace consolekit 0.4.5-3.1 (using
> .../consolekit_0.4.6-5_amd64.deb) ...
> De-configuring udev ...
> Unpacking replacement consolekit ...
> Replacing files in old package udev ...
> Preparing to replace udev 175-7.2 (using
> .../archives/udev_215-8_amd64.deb) ...
> Since release 198, udev requires support for the following features in
> the running kernel:
>
> - inotify(2)            (CONFIG_INOTIFY_USER)
> - signalfd(2)           (CONFIG_SIGNALFD)
> - accept4(2)
> - open_by_handle_at(2)  (CONFIG_FHANDLE)
> - timerfd_create(2)     (CONFIG_TIMERFD)
> - epoll_create(2)       (CONFIG_EPOLL)
>
> Please upgrade your kernel before or while upgrading udev.
>
> AT YOUR OWN RISK, you can force the installation of this version of udev
> WHICH DOES NOT WORK WITH YOUR RUNNING KERNEL AND WILL BREAK YOUR SYSTEM
> AT THE NEXT REBOOT by creating the /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade file.
> There is always a safer way to upgrade, do not try this unless you
> understand what you are doing!
>
> [...]
> then upgraded several other unrelated/innocent packages, but always at
> some point stopped and failed at udev.
>
> Any suggestions?

Sorry if it sounds blunt, but have you actually read the messages you
pasted above?  They should give you information what is missing from
your running kernel, and they also give advice how to force the udev
upgrade anyway.

If your kernel does not have CONFIG_FHANDLE (the most likely problem,
since that was introduced only in 2.6.39), you can probably force the
upgrade, since udev does not seem to actually need that feature.

Cheers,
       Sven