Re: remote printing for an USB printer

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014, Brian wrote:

. . .
cups-browsed needs to be correctly set up on the server for the client
to be able to see the advertised queues.  > > "listen 192.168.1.12"
should not be the least bit necessary.
. . .
It is impossible for a Wheezy client to discover the queues on a 1.7
CUPS server without the help of cups-browsed on the server. Please read
the documentation.

   My experience proves that this is wrong:

   1/ According the cups-browsed man, it seems to be needed not on the server, but on the
      client:

    cups-browsed - A daemon for browsing the Bonjour broadcasts of shared, remote CUPS printers

      Anyway, all my attempts to install it on my amd64 wheezy laptop failed
      - it's not available for wheezy
      - trying to add a jessie repo in source.list fails:
      Failed to fetch http://debian.ens-cachan.fr/debian/dists/jessie/main/binary-amd64/Packages  Hash Sum mismatch
      - trying install with dpkg -i   deb-file fails for dependency problems.

   2/  I (almost) solved the problem with the following actions, on the client.
       - remove the client.conf file
       - in cupsd.conf. remove ALL lines with Listen... or Browse...., leaving only
          Listen localhost:631
      After that, I was able to install my 2 printers (one with a direct ethernet connection,
      the other connected via USB on my desktop) with system-config-printer
      (http://localhost:631/printers also works)
      Now if I print 1 page on my USB printer, I get only 1 sheet(fantastic, isn't it?)
      Nevertheless, one problem remains:
      After each print, the job remains in the queue, and the printer becomes "not ready"
      on the laptop (it remains ready on the server) and the following 2 lines appear
      in printers.conf

           Reason cups-ipp-conformance-failure-report
           Reason cups-ipp-missing-job-state

      Google showed me a lot of analog reports, but no fix.

      So, for the moment, I have to cancel the job, and then issue a cupsenable command
      after every print command.

best regards,
--
Pierre Frenkiel