Re: remote printing for an USB printer

On Sat 20 Dec 2014 at 16:25:40 +0100, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:

> I have a HP photosmmart printer connected via USB to my Debian desktop.
> On my android tablet,the "printershare" application found it immedialty,
> without providing it any information (just: "look on the wifi network"). and
> the installation was done in less that 10 seconds.

This shows you have the android correctly set up for printing.

> On my wheezy laptop, it's almost a nightmare. I tried all documented methods

This shows you do not have the wheezy client correctly set up for
printing.

> (system-config-printer, http://localhst:631/printers), and
> no one worked. My last attempt was  to add in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
>      "listen 192.168.1.12"
> That seemed to work, as lpstat -a showed me all the printer
> queues of the server, and I could succesfully print a job, but:

"Successfully"? In what way?

>   - on the client, the job remains in the queues, and the printer is
>      marked as "stopped"
>   - on the server, the printer queue grows indefinitely, and the printer
>     spit page after page, until I cancel the job on the client, and all
>     jobs on the server.

Either the job was successful or it wasn't. Which is it? Printing or no
printing?

> I have exactly the same problem on a second laptop, also running wheezy.

You have both laptops set up the same way.

> What can I try now?

Enable debug logging on client and server; cupsctl(8). Print. Examine logs.

Say what cups version is on the server.