Re: USB drive mounted Read-only; what to do ?

On Sun 21 Dec 2014 at 11:31:19 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Sb, 20 dec 14, 19:50:51, Bob Proulx wrote:
> >
> > Good question.  It feels like we have come full circle.  That was the
> > way it was before the introduction of devfs and udev.  It appears that
> > things now have returned to the way it was before udev.  Which won't
> > bother the old-school Unix folks because we already lived through that
> > and already know how to deal with it.  But why haven't the next
> > generation started complaining about it?  If it works for them, then
> > how?  The changelog says they are obsolete.  But then what is the
> > replacement for them?
>
> If my understanding is correct, "normal" read/write permissions are
> handled by udisks and should work regardless of whether a user happened
> to be the first one set up (usually by debian-installer) or not.

I'm not too familiar with udisks but that is my understanding too.

> Whether it is a good idea to restrict writing to the raw device only to
> root-equivalent users is a different question.

It is. Is there an explanatory answer? Following upstream rules allows
the Debian patch to be removed, which implies it has some unstated
consequences.

> On one hand I don't think it's such a big burden to use su/do or similar
> for this type of operation, on the other hand it's slightly easier to
> pick the wrong device and destroy your data.

Someone without root access cannot dd, cp or cat a Debian ISO to a USB
stick. I rather liked the Wheezy ability to do this and to use fdisk
without worrying. One moment of inattentiveness or the wrong letter with
root access would ruin one's day.