Re: USB drive mounted Read-only; what to do ?

On Vi, 19 dec 14, 10:15:32, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 19 Dec 2014 at 05:45:33 -0300, Renaud OLGIATI wrote:
>
> > I plug in a USB pen drive, and launch dd  to copy an iso image.
> >
> > # dd bs=4M if=debian-live-7.6.0-amd64-rescue.iso of=/dev/sdi && sync
>
> Thee is no need to be root to copy the ISO.

Of course there is no need to be root to copy an ISO file "around", but
permission to write directly to the raw device is equivalent to root, so
naturally this is not included in the permissions of "normal" users.

$ ls -l /dev/sda
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 dec 20 23:16 /dev/sda

From /usr/share/doc/base-passwd/users-and-groups.txt.gz

    disk

        Raw access to disks. Mostly equivalent to root access.

Kind regards,
Andrei