Re: wordperfect 5.1 for unix, and debian?

Entertaining thread..cool. Long time since I read a WP, reveal codes, styles dust up :-)

I still use WP8 in a NT4 vbox instance for a couple of tasks..I absolutely will not give up, I too miss the dot leader feature for my table of contents.

I miss this feature, and a few more. I use the table function almost exclusively,  full page tables mixed cell formatting, this is a pain with styles  ala LO & AOO. The compelling part to AOO & LO is the freedom and ease of archiving my business docs.

peace,
Greg

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:
> On 20/12/14 02:15 PM, Doug wrote:

>>> OK, but you can set up a UNIX virtual machine. Worst case would be
>>> needing qemu to emulate whatever processor your WP51 version was set up for.
>>>
>>> Still don't know what you have against LibreOffice. It's almost certainly
>>> superior to WP51 in every significant way.
>>

>> At least she doesn't have to worry about "Styles." Most people do not need
>> a QuarkXpress or MS Publisher, and that's what LO is trying to be.
>>
>> Just like those expensive commercial programs, anyone who uses LO (or OO)
>> will either have to read and learn a lot of instructions or find a
>>
>> different solution. My solution is TextMaker from SoftMaker, which has a
>> free version for non-commercial use, and which seems to have just
>>
>> about all the features of the paid version. (I have no pecuniary interest
>> in SoftMaker, a German firm.)
>>
>> --doug
>

> Funny but I never had to learn about styles. However they are handier than
> applying individual attributes to common elements. And while LibreOffice is
> quite powerful, it's not Scribus nor Scribus-like by any stretch. It's just
> a modern, feature-rich word processor. That means allowing people to use
> styles when they want to or ignoring them when they don't.

By way of example, flush-right-with-dot-leader is trivial in WP8 (the
native WP for Linux), impossible in LibreOffice without a "style"
which is absurdly difficult to create.

Patrick