Re: 9p/plumber to replace D-Bus?

berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

Le 12.12.2014 14:54, Richard Owlett a écrit :
I.E. "Who is responsible for the integrity of *MY* system?"
The correct answer is the proverbial "Me, Myself, and I."
It is most definitely not an individual nor group whom I've
never met.
There is most definitely a need for such systems as the vast
majority
do not have the needed experience/expertise.

Yes, but, since you post on this list, I would tend to think you
are someone with administration knowledge.

That implys too much in my favor.

At least basic one,
especially since you are here since longer than me, you probably
have learn tons of things from various threads.

That is the value of mailing lists over web based fora - its easy to save and index gems of information.

For someone which does not even know what is a mailing list, I
would not think that they have or want to have enough knowledge
of their computers to simply understand what installing an
application really means.
Remember: there are people able to trust phishing mails!

And I did not even spoke about the fact that, around here, lot of
people seems unable to feel responsible for their own actions...
I would like to be wrong, or if not, that this feeling is only
because I'm in the wrong place of the world, but I doubt it.

That is how I operate ~100% of the time. Security is a
non-issue, I
have the only key to my house. It needs only one password to
cove case
of physical malicious access.

The above has suffered multiple trims. I, the OP, said:
] There is a market (how large???) for a single user single task computer and OS. ] That is how I operate ~100% of the time. Security is a non-issue, I have ] the only key to my house. It needs only one password to cover case of physical ] malicious access. There would be advantages to a maintenance password to guard ] me from making careless/dumb errors on *MY OWN* machine. It would be extremely
] useful if its kernel supported running unmodified Debian packages.

What about software you ran as normal user with full rights doing
malicious access to your hardware, thus being able to corrupt
things like UEFI?

Hopefully I would learn from my errors. In any case the
responsibility is mine.

Not everyone is able or want to learn. Plus, to acquire
knowledge, you need to have bases which allows you to do so.
How could I learn what a virus is, if I do not know what a file
is? How could I learn what a worm is, without knowing that
applications can communicate?

It is all the "want to learn" factor. Ask questions!
When I was growing up, mid-20th century, a current saying was:
"The only dumb question is the one that is not asked."

[For non-native speakers, the above is a pun on dumb. Dumb can mean mute or in informal usage stupid.]

There would be advantages to a
maintenance password to guard me from making careless/dumb
errors on
*MY OWN* machine. It would be extremely useful if its kernel
supported
running unmodified Debian packages.

Linux is built as a multi user kernel. I guess any software using
linux specific features, or multi-user based feature, like cups,
for example, would need changes. At least to not try to create
it's own user.

I assumed it would possibly require a quite different core and apt
substitute. How closely tied is content of a Debian package
tied to a
Linux kernel?

It depends.
Source package, or binary package?
Package installing low level, or high level stuff?

I'll bet on source package, so that I could not argue about the
libc.
Hopefully, high-level applications does not depends on linux
kernel-related stuff, but now, we've seen applications recently
which depends on features provided by systemd, which is, AFAIK,
not ported on non-linux kernels.
Also, a cat /etc/passwd could inform you about how many users are
present on your system, but remember that it's only your system:
other systems might have more, or less, depending on what was
installed in the past (do you know that, when you purge a
package, it won't remove the users it added?).

Simple example: databases. They often create their own users. Do
you have any package which depends on a database? I'm not sure,
but I think cups also uses it's own user.

Adapting Debian to a single user system might not be that hard,
but I am quite sure that it will be a ton of work, and that
strange issues will happen here and there.

I was just commenting on what I would like as an ideal. I doubt its practicality.

Now, I've heard about puppy linux, in terms like: users are root.
It might interest you.